Ken:

> And generally, what can anyone say about using a flash meter with
> E-TTL flash?

Though I've never tried it, according to the 550EX manual you can do the
sort of thing you're talking about-- wireless manual flash using a flash
meter--with the 550EX as your master or only light. But I don't believe
you can do it with the 420EX as your only light. On an Elan 7, the 420EX
stays in E-TTL mode even if the camera body itself is in manual mode. I
don't know what happens when you hit the test button, but I don't think
it matters. Any reading the camera gives you is for the ambient, not the
flash. It't not a reliable indicator of anything. The 420EX's flash
output is always determined dynamically during the shot, not by any
setting of any buttons or switches, so it would be tricky (and probably
redundant) to meter it externally.

This difference in features is one of the 550EX's advantages over the
420EX.

In brief, even with a 550EX, what I would say in general about using a
flash meter with E-TTL flash is: don't.

If I'm wrong about this I hope someone corrects me.

--Ken S.