So 28-80 performs at f8 the same as a 50mm at f2.8. I think that is not very
impressive. The point is, there is a noticable difference between these two
lenses, imho. When I tried my 85mm 1.8 vs 28-135, I was able tosee how much
sharper the 85mm was from a 4x6, which is amazing.

The 28-80 sharpness wise looks like similar to 28-105, which is my favourite
all around lens. But you are talking of the earlier version. The one is
really bad...