--- Jim Davis Nature Photography <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well, the 550EX has performed very well with my 10D. Although I
> haven't used it extensively yet. Also, the little built in flash has
> performed wonders for me when called upon.
>
>  And, consider how easy it is to dial it up or down with Digital -
> depending on the historgram and preview. I can actually see the fill
> ratio and adjust in moments. However, I've found this unecessary, as
> usually set for 1/2 to 1 stop under flash comp in most cases, and so
> far I've guess that right on. I have auto fill reduction turned off
> too I might add, which I'm so glad they put on the 10D. (That is a
> feature that automatically changed the flash fill when below EV11 I
> think it was). This has been many EOS users' complaint over the
> years,
> - the uncertainly of this feature.
>
> As to the preflash that I was worried about with ETTL. I haven't
> noticed it. Simple as that.
>
> BTW, the 3rd party Lenmar battery I was complaining about - I think
> that the contacts were the problem, cause it is working well so far
> after a bit of light fine sanding the battery contacts. Strange that
> one should have to resort to this on an almost brand new battery, but
> that's life I guess. Just hoping it continues to work as normally.
>

> Jim Davis
> - checkout the Motorcycle Headlight Relay Kit at:
> http://jimdavis.oberro.com/html/bike_acc_.html

Great Jim, at least soemone with 10D confirms a good results with
550EX.
BTW, many indeed complained about the negative experience with ETTL's
automatic fill-in reduction - and again I say opposite. It makes
wonders for me once filling the shadows - the touch is so gentle (and
just enough) some, even experienced shooters didn't notice a flash
appearance at all on some images wondering about so even lighting
coverage on subject face, until I revealed my "secret". :-)
However, I still feel I need to gain more experience with indoors
ETTL's 550EX performance ad different configurations (such as straight
on teh sbuject, bounced, with Omnobounce straight on, OMnibounce with
head tilted, ...) to develop my technique.

Alex