On 8 Mar 2006 at 7:36, W S wrote:

> I have boxes of old tapes in the basement. How long will you be
> able to read those tapes? or the DVD, or CD? I don't have any real
> answers for backup, so my solution is to just buy new disk drives
> every year and mass copy to them.
>
> And when that becomes frustrating I know I did not do a good job
> of editing. Those raw files can really add up. I am impressed that
> the 5D raw files of 12-14mb is not that much larger than an E-1
> 5mp raw file.
>
> Does anyone know a good solution to offload flash cards when
> traveling where there is limited power, where dragging a laptop
> along is too much weight? And are there any solar based battery
> chargers for traveling in remote locations?

There are a few battery-powered CD- or even DVD-writers on the
market, with multi-card reader (nearly same device as disk-storage
with multi-card reader).
If you still have some civil infrastructure left, you burn 2 CD/DVD's
each time, then ship out 1 by postal mail frequently, and keep the
other.
(and/or ship a complete second/third set by postal mail just before
departure)

Willem (in a more distant future you will also email your files home,
although this might become oldfashioned once your camera transmits
them home wirelessly....;)) Jan

Btw, what about the market-potential of a (mini?) CD-/DVD-writer
directly attached to the bottom of your camera?....;))

--
Bye,

Willem-Jan Markerink

      The desire to understand