I don't know if it's conspicuous or not, since there's no history in the 5D
lineage to draw from. I suspect it still sells well, and that if it is updated
in the spring, we'll see something like the 20D-->30D upgrade. That is, a
bigger LCD, newer DIGIC, little if any change in resolution, and a grip with
wireless capability. There's really not another camera that competes with it
today, so Canon is not exactly in a desperate position. The D3/D300 battles
will be fought with the 40D and 1D Mk III bodies.

Consider the film counterpart, the EOS 3. While there were several Elan
upgrades II/7/7N and at least one 1n to 1v, the EOS 3 remains the same even
today.

I'll bet the only thing significant about the 5D successor is that the street
price in the US is under $2000 ($1995 is my guess).

Tom P.