EOS 3 did come after 1N and before 1V, though. I still remember lots of
discussion on the list whether to switch from 1N to 3 or not. So it is
inaccurate to say that EOS 3 remained the same while EOS 1N upgraded to 1V. At
any rate, I am not sure if EOS 3 is a good comparison. Canon has not updated
any of the high(er) end film SLR for good reasons. With the way it is going for
films, I don't see EOS 3 (or 1V as well?) gets any update ever. But 5D is in a
somewhat different boat. This is a "no man' land" per se for now. It is a good
spot that Canon is sitting on. From business perspective, one can either wait
until the situation becomes dire than update, or go proactive and lead the
market. Canon has achieved today's leading position by doing the latter,
leaving Nikon and all others in the dust for the longest time. Now must they
wait until someone is breathing at their neck or even teasing in front their
nose before they do anything? Hasn't the 30D fiasco taught Canon anything?

Actually, I am not expecting major technical upgrade of 5D. Some minor upgrade
never hurts but it is fine as it is. I am much more interested in a sub-$2000
5D. That is a position that Canon can "kill off" the onslaught of D300 for
good. At similar prices, most if not all of D300's advantages will vanish in
the face of full frame. That is where Canon needs to be: seize back the mid
field. Then lower end will naturally follow because the mid field is where the
vast majority low end customers look at as upgrade path or "insurance".

Spec wise, this will be similar to 20D-30D update, but business wise, it is
quite a different ball game. It opens up a new market that is presently still
somewhat closed to a good number of advanced amateurs for cost reasons. $2000
is a significant psychological barrier. In US, with various rebates, 5D had
been occasionally sold at nearly such prices. But those incentives have not
been extended to beyond US, and certainly not on a more consistent basis. A
sub-$2000 5D can really make a difference. I hope Canon agrees with me.

Thanks,

Francis