I wonder if the problem was with the cameras or the CF cards since the same CF card could be used in a Canon, a Nikon, a Cisco router, etc..... Does the camera, or device that uses a CF card, just present the file to the CF card? Each might have it's own way of formatting the data so the logic in the CF card would have the job of knowing where it is and where to put the next file..... I have never tried pulling a CF card out of a Nikon and putting it in my 20D. Interesting subject. I almost feel like I'm back at work, 40 years with IBM, rather than in a photography forum.......

Bob

--

                          /////
                         ( O O )