We have pushed into testing and intend to eventually release a new
version of rdiff-backup which has a significant incompatibly with the
current distributed version, when used in client-server mode.

The current version is v1.2.8 and written in Python2, while the new
version is v2.0.0 and written in Python3, and the language change
breaks client-server mode, due to incompatible data representations
between Python2 and Python3.  In all other respects the two versions
are compatible including the ability to read and write existing backup
repositories.

It should be noted that the v1.2.8 was released over 11 years ago and
while a small number of bug fixes have been added by the community,
there has been no co-ordinated work for a number of years, and no
further development will occur on the Python2 version.  All future
work, enhancements and bugfixes, including security bugfixes, will be
to the Python3 version.

If it is necessary to stay with the Python2 version, it is recommended
that you exclude rdiff-backup from future updates.

Also, if you are testing the Python3 update in EPEL-7 (and EPEL-8) some
of the dependencies (python3-pyxattr and py3libacl) are also in the
testing repositories.

If you have any questions about the update, please contact me.

Frank Crawford
FAS: frankcrawford