On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 6:55 PM Frank Crawford <fr...@crawford.emu.id.au>
wrote:

> Lance,
>
> Just to add a bit more on some of Kevin's comments, this does not break
> any of your backups and existing backups are both readable and writable
> with both versions. What is broken is the backup process in some cases, as
> a Python3 master cannot talk to a Python2 slave, and visa-versa.

Thanks for that clarification! That's kind of what I assumed based on what
you said.

> It would not be as simple as having both installed, as you also need to
> select which version you are attempting to talk to on the remote machine,
> and the default configuration assumes that the name is the same on the
> remote machine, although this is changeable, if you know the full command
> syntax.

Noted

> I will probably make a special version of rdiff-backup v1.2.8 that can be
> parallel installed available on COPR, but it won't be part of EPEL, as, for
> example EPEL-8 will only have rdiff-backup v2. I'm just in discussion with
> packagers for other distributions to get some common naming for such a
> package, and it is generally agree that we need the latest version to be
> rdiff-backup.

Sounds good and that makes sense as well.

> Also, it is only on a master server, i.e. one invoking remote backups,
> that you would need have two versions, and some method of selection which
> one you want to run based on the slave's version. This could be as simple
> as two separate backup jobs or a much more complicate script.
>
> Regards
> Frank
>
> On Mon, 2020-04-20 at 09:59 -0700, Lance Albertson wrote:
>
> What does the upgrade path look like from if folks are currently creating
> backups using 1.x and they suddenly switch to 2.x? Is there an upgrade
> path? Is there a way in EPEL to allow for both versions to exist to ease
> migration? i.e. maybe by creating rdiff-backup2 which
> supercedes rdiff-backup.
>
> Ideally, it would be nice to have some kind of an upgrade path so we don't
> end up breaking all of our backups.

I went ahead and added 'rdiff-backup-2*' to our excludes to be safe until
we're ready for the upgrade globally.

Thanks for all the hard work! I'm looking forward to getting all of our
systems upgraded.

> Thanks-
>
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 6:33 AM Frank Crawford <fr...@crawford.emu.id.au>
> wrote:
>
> We have pushed into testing and intend to eventually release a new version
> of rdiff-backup which has a significant incompatibly with the current
> distributed version, when used in client-server mode.
>
> The current version is v1.2.8 and written in Python2, while the new
> version is v2.0.0 and written in Python3, and the language change breaks
> client-server mode, due to incompatible data representations between
> Python2 and Python3. In all other respects the two versions are compatible
> including the ability to read and write existing backup repositories.
>
> It should be noted that the v1.2.8 was released over 11 years ago and
> while a small number of bug fixes have been added by the community, there
> has been no co-ordinated work for a number of years, and no further
> development will occur on the Python2 version. All future work,
> enhancements and bugfixes, including security bugfixes, will be to the
> Python3 version.
>
> If it is necessary to stay with the Python2 version, it is recommended
> that you exclude rdiff-backup from future updates.
>
> Also, if you are testing the Python3 update in EPEL-7 (and EPEL-8) some of
> the dependencies (python3-pyxattr and py3libacl) are also in the testing
> repositories.
>
> If you have any questions about the update, please contact me.
>
> Frank Crawford
> FAS: frankcrawford

> epel-devel-le...@lists.fedoraproject.org
>

> Fedora Code of Conduct: