On Tue, 15 Dec 2020, Miro Hrončok wrote:

On 12/13/20 7:52 PM, Andrew C Aitchison wrote:

On Sun, 13 Dec 2020, Miro Hrončok wrote:

Also, since you might want to bump the release independently in EPEL (e.g. if we discover something was wrong in the way we have packaged this), I recommend doing:

 %global rhelrelease 10
 %global baserelease 1
 Release: %{rhelrelease}.%{baserelease}%{?dist}
 Requires: qpdf-libs%{?_isa} = %{version}-%{rhelrelease}%{?dist}

(Assuming qpdf has regular %{dist} and not some modularity artificial value.)

Note that I've named the EPEL part of the release "baserelease", so rpmdev-bumpspec does the right thing.

If rhelrelease updates to 10.1 which will win ?
... and if we have already bumped baserelease to 2 ?

rhelrelease    name
         baserelease
10    2    qpdf-devel-10.2.epel.rpm
10.1        qpdf-devel-10.1.rhel.rpm

Which will win ?

Right. Can we use ^ in EL8 to separate the RHEL and EPEL parts?

"^" sorts after digits (at least in ASCII and Basic Latin), so
can anyone check whether
        qpdf-devel-10^2.epel.rpm
will trump
        qpdf-devel-100.1.rhel.rpm
or
        qpdf-devel-10.3.rhel.rpm
?
My recollection is that there have been several different
implementations of parsers for version-release checks with different twisty paths for splitting sub-components.
My last RedHat based system is SL6 (sorry I moved to Ubuntu to match
work) so I couldn't do a reliable test myself.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison                                     Kendal, UK
                        and...@aitchison.me.uk