On Thu, 22 Jul 2021 at 14:42, Troy Dawson <tdaw...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Currently the default days to stable for EPEL is 14 days.
> I believe when it was first put in it was set to that time because we wanted
> things more stable and better tested.  But experience has found that if a
> package is going to get tested, it usually is in the first few days of when
> it was built.  Thus 14 days seems to be 4 days of testing, and 10 days of
> sitting.
>
> I am proposing that we change the "days to stable" for epel to 7 days,
> matching Fedora's "days to stable".
>
> People have asked that the epel-next "days to stable" be dropped down to 3
> days, matching Fedora when it is in it's development phase.  The reasoning is
> that epel-next is built off CentOS Stream, which only has 6 months at the
> most before it is rolled into the next RHEL release.
>
> If people could give any cases for, or against these, please respond here.
> The EPEL Steering Committee will have a vote at our next meeting (July 28).

I am personally for these. The world has changed.. and the reasons for
EPEL having a wait were when people were active in testing packages.
These days, people just want stuff and having them wait 14 days no
longer matches that. [Personally I even wonder if updates-testing
makes sense from the very small usage of it.]

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Flame wars in