On Wed, 7 Sept 2022 at 10:04, Petr Pisar <ppi...@redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > hope that a module ecosystem could be built from Fedora packages using
> RHEL
> > modules as an underlying tool. This has never happened and we have ended
> up
> > with a muddle of modular packages which will 'build' but may not install
> or
> > even run on an EL-8 system. Attempts to fix this and work within how EPEL
> > is normally built have been tried for several years by different people
> but
> > have not worked.
> >
> > At this point it is time to say this experiment with modules in EPEL has
> > not worked and focus resources on what does work. I would like to propose
> > that modular support is removed from EPEL by January 2023.
> >
> > Steps:
> > 1. Approval of this proposal by the EPEL Steering committee and any other
> > ones required.
> > 2. Announcement of end of life to various lists.
> > 3. Archiving of the modules on XYZ date to
> > /pub/archive/epel/8.YYYY-MM/Modular and pointing mirrormanager to that
> for
> > that
> > 4. Make changes in bodhi to turn off reporting about modules for EL8.
> > 5. Make changes in MBS configs to turn off building modules for EL8.
> > 6. Make changes in PDC for EL8 modules
> > 7. Make changes in compose scripts and tools to no longer cover EPEL-8
> > modules
> > 8. Remove epel-8 modules from /pub/epel/8
> > 9. Announce closure of this proposal and any lessons learned.
> >
> I heard a concern what to do with systems which use EPEL modules. What will
> happen after the modules disappear from EPEL repositories?
>
> Thanks to fails-safe machanism in DNF, the metadata for enabled module
> streams
> will be preserved in DNF's local copy. Thus users who have installed the
> modules will have them visible in "dnf module list" output even after
> removing
> them from EPEL repository. So far good.
>
> Someone proposed that EPEL should actively try to disable the EPEL modules.
> Miro mentioned that the Fedora already did it once
> <
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/fedora-release/c/bfc4c31d8f625d4963a8169c9ba65686da7a4ce0?branch=f31
> >
> by editing DNF configuration from an RPM scriptlet.
>
> Question is whether EPEL should do it. If EPEL did it, users would lose
> their
> modules and, I think, DNF would start mixing modular and nonmodular
> packages.
> That could cause problems when upgading those systems. One would need to
> perform "dnf distrosync --allowerasing" to repair the system.
>
> There could also be a problem if RHEL decided to deliver a module stream
> with
> an identical name. EPEL would then keep disabling the RHEL module.
>
> I believe it's safer not to actively disable the streams on user's systems.

I agree on this and would not want that to happen. The module metadata
needs to stay there

> What we could do is write a notice about the end of life into the module
> summaries and rebuild the modules. That way users running "dnf module list"
> could see the message. But people upgrading after the module removal
> wouldn't
> see anything. We would have keep to modular repository available forever.
> Probably the idea of the notice is not worth of it.
>
> Any opinions how to deal with obsoleting the installed modules?
> What currently does EPEL when a maintainer decides to drop a (nonmodular)
> package?

It disappears from the mirrors but a user could grab it from koji or if it
was 'archived' in the /pub/archive snapshots which are done around the time
a . is released. Most of the modules would still be there in the
/pub/archive snapshot and a final version would be there also as step 3.

--
Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.