When you use the word "nature" the audience understands two:

The abstraction Nature, and also that thing that the word points to

Nature es also an abstraction, even so the John's question is valid as
it is simple to understand the referenced object in his sentence

So it is valid to say "the nature of mass", mass and nature can be
abstract concepts, but that does not mean "the nature of mass" makes
no sense.

I can say as well: the nature of Dante's Eternity is... whatever, and
makes perfect sense within the context

Otherwise we would be unable to talk about anything but abstract
models