Hello Neil

Excellent post here! As you use to give us BTW,
Even if it is not the right thing to do I wanted to extract the line
below

> We talk a lot about information and I notably never grasp what it is.
> There is information at work behind this limit and what interests me
> is that we are addressing information and being addressed by it, and
> developing ways to receive and transmit almost like scouts.  Having
> reached this biological limit which seems 'designed in', we are almost
> operating as machines we might design for exploration and adaptation
> to environments we are not sure of (sort of AI).

I wanted to add if possible about the title you gave to this, I
believe you on purpose referred to the biological compression, as a
different thing of for instance "information compression"
Biological and other physical objects can be compressed.

Indeed information is a component which we can only address and be
addressed by, there is no way to grasp what it is as well, because
IMHO has no mass, therefore is not compressible, in other words, and
also going into metaphor, we can burn Aquiles' body (even if he just
lives in a poem), but we cannot limit/fence/compress/grasp the idea of
Homero's most famous character.

Autopoesis, (self creation?), oh yes, what else if not. We share this
space (Internet is a full valid concept of space), which did not exist
50 years ago. Where is it, where was it before, even if the entire
physical network dissapears we can "address" its objects.
Thus space also can be created. also has no mass, and also cannot be
compressed, may be space and information are one and the same, I don
know

rgds

Carlos