----[Please read http://ercoupers.com/disclaimer.htm before following any advice in this forum.]----


 

Below is a quote from Brian Cooley’s column on ZiffDavis.net toward the bottom of the article.  (http://www.zdnet.com)  In it, he references you to a security article by an expert.  It seems to be a very good article.  Recommended.

 

If you decide to switch away from Microsoft products to improve your safety, way down at the bottom of this letter are some alternatives and other information.

 

 

Ed Burkhead

http://edburkhead.com/

ed -at- edburkheadQQQ.com   (change -at- and remove the QQQ)

 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure if  you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

 

 

 


By Brian Cooley
Editor at Large, Reviews
Thursday, December 16, 2004

December 13, 2004

 

Read this security article--twice
Bruce Schneier is a really smart guy. In fact, he's one of those guys who is so smart, he makes you feel kind of stupid. I've chatted with him a couple of times in my years at CNET, and while my mouth might be saying, "Bruce, how do we defend against the symbiotic threats the ubiquity of the Microsoft code base has created?" my mind is thinking, "What in the hell is an English major with a very average GPA doing wasting this guy's time?"

Bruce answers crisply and thoroughly, staring back at you with what the Marines call the "thousand-yard stare." But it's not because he's shell-shocked. He's probably solving two other meaty problems in the back of his mind while he's talking to you. He's intense and engages in demanding conversations.

Luckily for Bruce, he didn't aspire to be a maƮtre d' or Bette Midler's opening act: He's a security guy. One of the best. CTO of Counterpane. And he just wrote one very good piece on how to compute safely. You'll find it at News.com. Go read it now--I'll wait for you.

http://news.com.com/Who+says+safe+computing+must+remain+a+pipe+dream/2010-1071-5482340.html?tag=txt

or

http://tinyurl.com/6hgvo

See, he's talking about a very simple set of behaviors and technologies, the kind of thing average computer users ask me for all the time, with questions such as, "Do you think I'm safe from that Internet problem I heard about on the news last night?" From now on, I will e-mail them Bruce's piece. He understands that user behavior and knowing what you're doing is as important as any piece of software or firewall setting.

I would like to see the FTC mandate that a printout of his piece be included with every PC sold, waiting right there with the quick-start guide when you cut the tape and open the box. Oh, that's right, I hate government meddling.

 

 ________________________________________

 

 

By Ed

 

Netscape 7.2 is my current prime browser.  This free package includes browser, e-mail program, address book, web-page composer and instant messaging program.  These work pretty well and I’ve used them all, except for the instant messaging.  When you install Netscape (or Firefox), it’ll get all the information from your Internet Explorer and Outlook or Outlook Express programs and set itself up including your favorite bookmarks/favorites.

 

Mozilla Firefox  This is new, free product that is taking the advanced amateur and professional computer world by storm.  It seems to be a very good web browser.  Easy to use.  Though Mozilla is the company that wrote Netscape’s product, I’ve heard that Firefox was mostly written by a now 15 year old kid – I saw the kid interviewed on TV and was impressed.  At any rate, it’s well done, easy to use and stable. 

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Mozilla’s new e-mail program is Thunderbird – this just was released after a good, long beta test period and I haven’t tried it yet.  From Mozilla, I’d trust it.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

 

Eudora e-mail program.  Free.  Recommended by many for ease of use, quality and security.  I haven’t tested it personally.

http://www.eudora.com/

 

 

Couple of notes about the first two packages above:

I switch back and forth between using Firefox and Netscape as my default browser.  Both are excellent.  Most of my links transferred over automatically but I have some tucked away in Netscape in a weird place that didn’t get moved over in the automatic process.  After I get those moved, I may settle on Firefox as my browser.

 

I use Outlook for my e-mail in spite of the many correct warnings about it.  It is dangerous to do so but I feel I need to stay current with it for professional reasons.  If it weren’t for that, I’d probably dump it in moments.  Having said that, I’ve stayed virus free by having a good antivirus program, a firewall and keeping my operating system up to date with Automatic Update.

 __________________________________

 

For checking to make sure you’re on a secure website, in the Internet address in the window at the top of the browser (the Universal Resource Locator), make sure it starts with https://  The “s” in https assures you that you’re on a secure page.  But, as the security guy says, be sure you’re on the RIGHT secure page.

 

Phishing (pronounced fishing) is the crime of sending out e-mails that really look like they came from a company and ask you for information about you they can use to steal from you.  It becomes a crime of theft when they use your information to steal from you.  They can make both their e-mail and their website look really official by stealing the logo and appearance from the company’s real website.

 

I don’t give out my information to websites I get to by clicking on e-mail or web page links unless I have reason to be confident it’s the real site of that company.

 

I keep a disposable e-mail address on Hotmail.com and netscape.net to give out to web sites that demand an e-mail address for access.  I usually lie about all my personal information to those obnoxious websites, too.  Those disposable e-mail boxes get lots of junk mail and I clean them out monthly but my prime e-mail mailbox gets none because I don’t give out that address to businesses.

 

 

==============================================================================
To leave this forum go to: http://ercoupers.com/lists.htm
Search the archives on http://escribe.com/aviation/coupers/



Reply via email to