----[Please read http://ercoupers.com/disclaimer.htm before following any advice in this forum.]----
I am one of the "new' people in aviation,
having started just one year ago, and being a recently certificated sport
pilot.
I must say the biggest hurdles for general aviation are:
1. Cost. Even with a very economical Ercoupe and a friendly A&P, I
find myself financially stretched and frequently feeling that flying
is meant for rich people only.
2. Regulatory burdens - granted, many regulations are very necessary,
however, quite a few make no sense and only add burden, red tape, and
expense to flying.
Yep, Sport Pilot is a significant movement in the right direction to
revitalize GA by reducing cost and regulatory burden, but even then, there is
still a lot of room for improvement
Just IMHO
Eliacim
N87071
----- Original Message -----From: Dan HallSent: Monday, June 12, 2006 10:34 PMSubject: Re: [COUPERS-FLYIN] AOPA petitions FAA to correct Sport Pilot medical----[Please read http://ercoupers.com/disclaimer.htm before following any advice in this forum.]----I have to agree with John 100%. The history & experience that the older pilots represent is appreciated and very precious however; we really do need NEW pilots to keep private general aviation going (& justify the infrastructure $), or private aviation is doomed to a slow death.I have been attending most of the various Fly-In events for 10 years and they just keep shrinking (EAA guys being the exception).Airports are being paved over by developers here in CA and are NOT being replaced, and related costs are escalating (actually the real value of our currency & buying power has been dropping for years and will likely continue to decline - but that's another issue).I'm 47 now and am afraid before I reach retirement the wonderful Antique Fly-in events that I enjoy most will be long dead, with many other flying events questionable.With the exception of the experimental & LSA / Sport Pilot, private aviation is a shrinking group. I just don't see enough people from my age group stepping into aviation like prior generations (it's very depressing to me!). I'm trying to do what I can to encourage people of all ages to FLY!I truly do hope that EAA and the Sport Pilot / LSA can bring new people into aviation and help keep us all flying!Best regards,
Dan HallN3968H============================================================================== To leave this forum go to: http://ercoupers.com/lists.htm
============================================================================== To leave this forum go to: http://ercoupers.com/lists.htm
