Very well said, and sad but true.  Two factors not previously mentioned, is the
doctors that profit from this as well as the FAA medical section job
justification corps.  The AMA lobby would probably outspend us poor airplane
drivers if we decided to fight it, so we just become bitter and complain
amongst ourselves.