Hi,
Finally I managed to start a new node with "-sname":)
First of all you were right - I didn't need to call this:
ErlangCore.getBackendManager().createBackend(info, options, launch, null);

The problem with creating node with sname was in my method
getLaunchConfiguration, which I copied from BackendManager. By the end of this
method there is following code:
if (System.getProperty("erlide.internal.shortname", "false")
                                        .equals("true")) {

workingCopy.setAttribute(ErlLaunchAttributes.USE_LONG_NAME,
                                                false);
                                info.useLongName(false);
                        }
I don't know what is "erlide.internal.shortname", and instead of checking it I
always set ErlLaunchAttributes.USE_LONG_NAME attribute to false.
regards,
Piotrek