Hi,

I've been discussing with Jakob about what problems we face and what we
should do next and I think it's better to have it open and available to
everyone, not the least because someone might point out our blind spots.

# Short background

We have discovered that it is more and more difficult for us to introduce
new features without breaking anything and realized that one of the reasons
is because assumptions about the project structure are spread throughout the
code and some times are even implicit. New features that don't follow these
assumptions get weird errors and when the apparent problem is fixed, other
problems appear in other parts.

The way to improve the situation is by:
- getting a picture of what we'd like things to work like
- use unit tests as "live specifications" for the desired functionality
- change the code in small steps until it conforms to the tests/spec
(Note that this is slightly different than introducing unit tests for
current functionality)

There should be only one source of information in the system - the model of
the projects and of the source code. The basic model should be possible to
extend by extra tools (for example, a test framework may specify additional
source code directories). These tools might also specify their own
processing of the sources (for example, a coverage tool might require
special arguments for the compiler; or a code-generation tool might require
a script to be executed before compilation). The basic model should not have
to be changed to accommodate for these extensions.

<--- to be continued --->

best regards,
Vlad