Doug Jones wrote:

> Yep.  I put a fair amount of work back at RotRock into means for
> torquing that huge momentum wheel over during the ascent burn.

Differential throttling (simulating the cyclic-pitch function of
a helicopter rotor) seems like the best bet.  There are a lot of
ways to do that, but most of them require actuators with response
times shorter than the rotation rate.  Others require knowing a
lot more about the construction of the bearing hub and its fluid
seals than I do right now.

And then, of course, the engine wheel has to be rigid enough to
withstand these oscillatory torques.  That's not a problem for
helicopter rotors, because they're not rigid; the blades flap all
over the place.  But I don't think the engine wheel can be allowed
to do that.

Cheers!
--Stu