However, with a mass that large, your acceleration will be low and if your
constantly checking your trajectory, you can correct it with plenty of time.

>From: Ian Woollard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: ERPS Main List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: [ERPS] Cute Asteroid
>Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 20:28:12 +0100
>
>Michael Wallis wrote:
>
>>My concern is still the failure mode of some tired space miner
>>shooting his pile of refined metal into the Earth instead of beside
>>it. It's much too easy to flip a sign or transpose a digit (or use the
>>wrong system of measurement) and throw several tons of metal at
>>innocent people.
>>
>Provided you break it up into small pieces it should be no problem. I don't
>think we could, or should, try to move the whole 100m asteroid as a lump...
>the failure modes would be a huge issue.
>
>But it's perfectly possible to turn it into lumps the size of your
>finger and stuff it in a plastic bag.
>I really doubt that would survive reentry- the surface area is too high-
>it would burn up.
>You might get a sonic boom on the ground, but that's all. Even then,
>you'd want to
>control the total mass of each package of course.
>
>>Michael

Tony Fredericks                 "Mind that bus!"
Amateur Rocket Scientist        "What Bus?"
E.R.P.S. Member                 SPLAT!! - Arnold Rimmer