Richard Speck reports on the CATS Board (formerly the CATS Prize
Board) that

>Micro-Space, Inc. successfully launched and recovered a
>bipropellant rocket Sept 22, 2002 at the TRA "BALLS" event in the
>Black Rock Desert. Hydrogen Peroxide and Methyl Alcohol were the
>fuels used for the sustainer motor in this CRUSADER IV rocket.
>A leaking check valve reduced the motor thrust and flight time for
>this flight. The four inch diameter rocket cleanly exited the launch
>tower, flew an accurate vertical trajectory, and descended under
>parachute as planned. Telemetry data was received throughout the
>flight. The high mass ratio offered by this technology will be
>essential for later space launch efforts. This version of the rocket,
>fully fuled, would exceed 3.5 mass ratio.

This is very good news for ERPS.  As far as I know, this is the first
time a biprop has flown at a Tripoli launch.  It's specifically
prohibited by both the Tripoli Safety Code and the Tripoli Research
Rules.  Exemptions have to be approved by the Tripoli Board.

So evidently Micro-Space got an exemption out the Tripoli Board.  And
for a bi-prop.  If they can get one, we can get one, and we could fly
at BALLS next year.

-R

--
"Sutton is the beginning of wisdom -