On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 12:33:09 -0700, David Weinshenker
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>And when the H2O2 plumbing includes a catpack... sounds like we'll need an
>"oxidizer-trail" shutdown to be safe, keeping the engine running as a monoprop
>during the shutdown purge of the fuel passage. (Recycle procedures after an
>emergency "scram" of both propellants could get tricky.)

A couple choices seem obvious(*) for what to do after an emergency
scram:

1) Pressurize to maybe 30 psi and crack the peroxide valve juuust a
hair, and let it run for a while.  Crack it a little more, etc.
Useful procedure if you're in a hurry.

2) Tear down the entire plumbing system, passivate it, put it back
together, dry test it, water test it, monoprop test it, then return to
your regularly scheduled biprop test program.  This procedure seems
the most rational to me, at least the first few times we have a
potential kerosene contamination problem.  After all, if we have a
problem severe enough to an emergency scram in the first place, we
probably need to work on the plumbing anyway, to find the problem, or
to fix it, or both.

I'm assuming emergency scram means dump both tanks under pressure?

(*) This is the secret to my success in ERPS.  I come up with
something obvious, and before long someone else comes along and says,
"No, Randall, you idiot, you don't do it that way.  You do it -this-
way," and demonstrates his superior idea.  Hey, if it gets people to
demonstrate superior ideas, I'm happy to be an idiot.  :-)

-R

--
"Sutton is the beginning of wisdom -
but only the beginning."