On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Pierce Nichols wrote:

>          The vacuum only needs to be drawn down a little bit -- our
> vehicles simply don't go that high. We have the pump, and the chamber just
> doesn't need to be that tight.

Low pressure is only important if the compressibility and/or viscosity of
air has a significant impact on the system response to vibration. If
you're that close to the edge, you're too close :-) In practice all that
variations in air pressure should do is move resonances around by a tiny
bit, and possibly affect coupling of vibrations between components to a
minor degree. The effects should be in the noise, especially when you
consider the things you will not be able to simulate, such as variations
in pressure on (and in) the airframe due to fluid dynamic effects
in actual flight.

......Andrew

--
Andrew Case                             |
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                    |