On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Ian Woollard wrote:
> But its not efficiency, it's cost of course. I don't have a clue which
> is cheaper. And plants are environmentally friendly, whereas solar cells
> are very nasty to make with lots of waste products.

Efficiency does figure into cost in another way:  because plants are so
inefficient, obtaining really large amounts of fuel that way requires an
awful lot of growing area.  10TW of biomass power -- a modest fraction of
likely world demand fifty years from now -- would require circa 10% of
Earth's land surface, roughly the same area occupied by all current
agriculture.

                                                          Henry Spencer