On 21 Nov 2002, at 13:49, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> http://www.spacedaily.com/news/solarcell-02m.html
>
> Dan

    At first glance, this doesn't seem that dramatic. Various labs have
been reporting PV cell efficiencies in the 25 to 35% range for years. This
includes multi-bandgap designs and concentrators.

    However, finding a material that can be "fine-tuned" for the desired set
of bandgaps to cover the entire solar spectrum and which, at the same
time, allows the layers to be bonded together without problems due to
lattice-strain or different thermal CoE values, it may indeed be a
breakthrough.

    I estimate we'll know in two to three years.

Chris