Henry Spencer wrote:

> ... it's quite routine in big rockets for the *control* gyros and
> the *guidance* gyros to be different hardware.  The high-bandwidth control
> gyros are used to keep the thing flying in the desired direction, and the
> low-bandwidth guidance gyros are used to decide just which direction that
> is.  For example, the shuttle has rate gyros separate from its IMU.

Done because they're gimbaled (stable platform) IMU's with a comparatively
slow digital interface, and no good way to get low-latency rate data.
A lightweight IMU for a small rocket is almost certainly going to be
a "strapdown" system, which inherently generates body-axis rate data.
The accuracy requirements for flight-control rate gyros are at least
an order of magnitude easier than for inertial-grade gyros, so it makes
sense to share the hardware if possible.

> ... one could perhaps do what's done for high-precision timing
> crystals:  keep them at a constant temperature, by putting them in an
> insulated enclosure with a temperature-controlled electric heater.  Not
> actually all that hard to do, although the power requirement is annoying.

AD has an app note on how to do that with their (first-generation)
MEMS accelerometers.  And of course, that's how high-precision IMU's
work anyway.  Inertial-grade instruments make great thermometers
(unfortunately).

> Centrifuge calibration of *gyros* may be a bit tricky!

That's how AD's data sheet says they got the G-sensitivity numbers in
the first place.  Presumably you could use an arm with a constant
rotation rate, and place the gyro at various points along the arm
to get varying axial g-levels (including zero) with the same rotation rate.
And it's pretty easy to get constant 1-G acceleration along any given
axis, with (nearly) zero rotation.  :)  With some care, I think you
could combine that data to give useful calibrations.  [Probably not good
enough for ICBM-level navigation, though: the rocket sled at Holloman
AFB was built to calibrate ICBM IMU parts, and they wouldn't have
built it if they thought centrifuges were good enough.]

Cheers!
--Stu