On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Randall Clague wrote:
> Especially with Al2O3 in the exhaust.  Atomic weight of Al2O3 is 102,
> compared to 18 for H2O, 28 for CO, and 44 for CO2...

The molecular weight of Al2O3 is actually pretty irrelevant, since it will
condense to a liquid at quite high temperatures, taking it out of the
gas-expansion picture entirely.  But its heat of formation is very large
(which is why people use powdered aluminum in solids).

> ...But if there's no real detonation
> hazard, which seems reasonable...

Not a safe assumption.  John appears to be thinking that there shouldn't
be a significant detonation hazard because a powder suspended in a liquid
doesn't give you molecular-level mixing.  However, that level of mixing is
not necessary.  Many multi-component explosives are not mixed at the
molecular level.  ANFO, as used in the Oklahoma City bombing, is powdered
oxidizer in liquid fuel -- miscibility zero, explosive hazard high.
LOX/charcoal combinations have been used as commercial blasting explosives.

> Yeah.  Anyone know how to compute or look up the activation energy?
> That's going to determine whether a fire goes WHOOSH or KABOOM!

Given that light-metal hydrides generally aren't very stable, and that
AlH3 decomposition will release raw aluminum, which reacts explosively
with *water*, never mind peroxide, I'd bet heavily on KABOOM!

I bet it catalyzes peroxide, too.

> Still, if it can be done at all safely - wouldn't amateur SSTO be a
> kick?

Sure would...  Alas, I don't think it's quite that easy. :-(

                                                          Henry Spencer