Hi.

--- Donald Qualls <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> the CEV.  I wonder if that means the Space Station
> will be serviced only
> by the (then) forty-plus year old Soyuz design
> vehicles during that
> (minimum) four year hiatus?  Or will it be abandoned
> in place as soon as
> it's completed?  Or does the President expect Russia
> to develop a new
> vehicle and have it ready for service in six years?

The politics, I believe, plays as important role in
Russian national space program, as it does in American
one. In the middle of 80-s the flight testing program
was complete for a newer design of a manned
spacecraft, brought to orbit by Proton. The craft was
named TKS, and it had two modules, one being the
return capsule (VA), and the other being a roomy
(about 45 cubic meters) orbital FGB module. The
derivatives of FGB were later used as modules in the
Mir space station, and the first ISS module, Zarya,
was created along FGB design.

The aerodynamics of VA capsule (the shape of VA is
somewhat similar to Gemini's) allowed for lesser
acceleration and better control, than for Soyuz
capsule, during descent in athmosphere. VA was also
fully reusable; one of VA capsules actually flew to
orbit three times. In addition, the capsule was more
conveniently organized inside, providing better
comfort. It also had a more modular approach, making
possible changing the orbital part according to flight
requirements, so the same capsule part could flew a
variety of missions on LEO and as far as Moon orbit.
The whole craft was derived from an already old (by
then) design of a lunar craft. As a whole, the design
represented the next generation of capsuled
spacecraft.

The TKS program was put on indefinite hold after
somewhat strange comparison, made between VA and
Soyuz, was sent to authorities. As a result, an older
(Soyuz) design is the only one in use today, and
technically more advanced VA TKS exists only in the
manufacturer's documentation.

I'm really interested to see the design for CEV, when
it's ready. And in general, it would be very
interesting to see things unfold for this new space
program, I believe.

Alexander