Doug Jones wrote:

DJ> Pressurized gaseous oxygen is in many ways more dangerous than low
DJ> pressure LOX- it has an energy source for ignition that LOX does
DJ> not.  We did a series of experiments with LOX, deliberately
DJ> introducing aluminum filings and alumina grit, then flowing it at
DJ> 400 psi through an aluminum orifice, with no drama.  Such filings in
DJ> GOX with a blind tube would have been far more exciting...

A good source that treats oxygen safety in detail (GOX, LOX, handling, storage
materials compatibility, cleanliness, cleaning procedures,.....
"NASA Glenn Safety Manual, Chapter 5 -- Oxygen Propellant," July 1997, see at:

http://www-osma.lerc.nasa.gov/lsm/lsm5.htm

In section 5.10.5 there is a description of interesting tests with high pressure
GOX at high flow velocity in the presence of particulate contaminations.
>From these tests come recommendations of max velocities in systems that handle
GOX.

Hans Ulrich Ammann
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]