On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Ingvar von Schoultz
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Peter Michaux wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Ingvar von Schoultz
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> The keyword "let" breaks the very valuable JavaScript tradition
>>> of using intuitively meaningful keywords.
>>
>> I have read a lot of math proofs that start with "let x be the..."
>
> That's exactly the problem. The word makes perfect sense, it
> has an easily understandable meaning. And this meaning has
> nothing at all to do with the localness that the word is used
> for.
>
> The word suggests quite strongly that it's talking about the
> assignment. This is completely wrong, since it actually specifies
> the visibility scope of the name.

... except that let is used this way in other programming languages.
The appeal is not (and ought not be) to the use of 'let' in English,
especially since many ES programmers are not English speakers.  The
appeal is to the use of 'let' in other programming languages.  Scheme
and the ML family are the most relevant here.

-Jon