On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Brendan Eich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sep 17, 2008, at 4:01 PM, Douglas Crockford wrote:
>
>> It may be best to defer decimal to Harmony so we can try some
>> experiments and have more confidence.
>
> Absolutely agree (someone added es-discuss to the cc: list already). See
>
> https://mail.mozilla.org/pipermail/es-discuss/2008-August/007136.html
>
> which led to many followups and different discussions. In all of
> those messages, I do not recall reading why decimal can't wait for
> Harmony.
>
> It's not that we wouldn't "just take decimal" if it dropped into 3.1
> without slipping 3.1's schedule, but I don't see how that is possible
> simply in terms of spec production. Getting feedback from significant
> numbers of users based on Sam's open-source implementation also looks
> like it will take more than a few months, and if this user feedback
> must come before spec production, then we are doubly out of time for
> decimal in 3.1.

My only claim is that I have a head start on implementations and user
feedback on such items as "use strict", and I intend to maintain that
lead.

> This doesn't mean the pace of implementation should slow down. Sam,
> I'm still keen on reviewing your patch for SpiderMonkey. It may not
> make Firefox 3.1 (I think it could) but it should get into automated
> proto-Firefox builds that people can test.

My patch does not match the direction that Doug now is advocating.

To the extent that I understand Doug's proposal, it essentially is an
opt-in that would remove a feature (binary64 floating points); and
therefore would likely be about as successful as an opt-in that
removed another feature that Doug dislikes, such as "with".  Am I
missing something?

I also don't understand the argument that the direction I have
outlined is not acceptable for users who care about quantities that
represent monetary amounts.  Can somebody spell that out for me
please?

> /be

- Sam Ruby