On Sep 18, 2008, at 6:03 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Sep 18, 2008, at 5:13 PM, Mark S. Miller wrote:

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 4:52 PM, Brendan Eich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: -0 and 0 are not the same "given floating point number". 1/-0 vs. 1/0 and Math.atan2(-0,0) vs. 0,0 are but two examples.

Yes, I understand their operational difference. Whether that difference means they are not the same number depends on how you define "number". I would have defined "representing the same number" by correspondence to the reals. YMMV.

But the mathematical behavior of floating point numbers is not the same as that of the reals. Not just because of -0. See <http://docs.sun.com/source/806-3568/ncg_goldberg.html >

Floating point numbers are a useful rough approximation of the reals for many practical calculations, but treating them as if they were in fact a subset of the reals is not mathematically sound.

Long long ago I actually had read that document carefully, and I had also looked at I think the [Brown 1981] which it cites. (But the doc has no bibliography. Anyone have a pointer?) My memory of the theory of floating point is that the numbers are exact but the operations are approximate.

I'm not sure what it means for values to be "exact" representations of real numbers when operations on them break even the most fundamental identities of real arithmetic. For many values of A, B and C, (A + B) + C != A + (B + C). And with the right values, it's not just a tiny difference of units in the last place, these expressions can be wildly different in value.

The bottom line to me is, if you are very very careful, then floating point numbers might be a useful approximate model of the real numbers for a given problem, but fundamentally their behavior is very different from the reals and they should not be considered to truly map to any subset of R.

Regards,
Maciej