Mark S. Miller wrote:
> In any case, my question is, does there exist any similar operational
> difference between decimal floating point values that are considered to
> be in the same cohort? If not, then I back Sam's proposal without
> compareTotal().

Depends on which proposal you're referring to.

In Sam's proposal toString is one such operation, but this is not inherent in
IEEE754r.

IEEE754r does have a few other such operations besides compareTotal, but
they're about as useful to us as implementing signaling NaNs would be:
quantize (5.3.2), sameQuantum (5.7.3), perhaps decimal<->decimal format
conversions (there are several 128-bit decimal encoding formats in that
standard).

    Waldemar