On Tue, 23 Jun 2009 09:18:16 +0200, Christian Plesner Hansen
<christian.plesner.han...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been looking around on the web for reasons why decimal arithmetic
> should be added to ES.  The most extensive page I could find was
> http://speleotrove.com/decimal/decifaq.html.  If anyone know other
> good sources of information about decimal and its inclusion in ES
> please follow up.
>
> The strongest argument seems to be financial: binary arithmetic is
> approximate in a way that makes it unsuitable for financial
> calculations.  I buy this argument in general -- I would definitely
> want my bank to use some form of decimal arithmetic rather than binary
> -- but less so in the context of ES.  A while ago we (the v8 team)
> asked around within google and were unable to find anyone who would
> want to do financial calculations client-side.

Java/ECMAScript is not only run inside a web browser.
http://wiki.mozilla.org/ServerJS

Personally I am entierly ambivelent to decimal.

I'd rather it was possible to do operator overloading such that decial or
what ever else could be implemented natively (in a self hosting JS) but I
can also accept that this (operator overloading) is unlikely to happen.