Allen:

I agree with the assessment of entangling configuration management and module
management.
Both module specifications have this issue, although Ihab's package proposal
attempts to separate the two.
In the community, the commonjs syntax is 'require("./compiler/Lexer");' which
implicitly says to go get the
script at relative location ./compiler/Lexer.js, where a '.js' is appended to
the literal string.
This is an implicit rule which inherently ties configuration management with
module management.
BTW, string literal's (which are in both module specifications) doesn't work
well with combo handlers
used by Yahoo and others where a 'module' (defined to be a collection of script
files) is fetched
using the URL
'http://yui.yahooapis.com/combo?version/resource1.js&version/resource2.js&version/resource3.js'
The implicit rule would be to add '.js' to the above que

An approach taken by commonjs when specifying a string literal eg:
  require('import/Lexer')
is to have a 'paths' property on the require function like
require.paths=["url1","url2","url3"];
which resembles java's class path mechanism where first found is first loaded.
Of course this assumes that the relative path is constant among the different
path entries.

An approach I had taken was to separate loading resources completely.
I use client-side websockets which communicate using a derived MessageEvent
that specifies
resources by name, mimetype, if-modified-since or etag. This is a 'pull'
mechanism where the client
asks for resources which are then used to create modules. These derived
MessageTypes would need to be specified
at the WebIDL (W3C) level and used by a module loader. Delegating resource
acquisition to an implementation
of the loader does decouple module management from configuration management,
there should be
MessageEvent's or JSON structures that module management can use when
evaluating resources fetched by the configuration management
system. This would be a great example of specifying the ecmascript mapping from
WebIDL.

kam