On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 8:19 PM, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt <sa...@ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> First, there's a simple subset of module system which (I think) meets
> ocap criteria.  Simply consider only modules which have no 'top-level'
> state ...

Ok, I *think* that works. One of my arguments I was going to make
downstream was that it would be ok if you required all modules to be
transitively immutable. The idea of Contexts wherein all modules are
somehow audited to be transitively immutable is an interesting one.
Again ... I think that would actually work.

> The primary solution here would be to set up a restricted Context
> which restricted access to particular stateful modules (this of course
> works for all stateful modules).

Yeah -- well, we can work something out for bootstrapping authority in
to Contexts.... Perhaps only a root module would be given some
authority? Let's think about it.

> You've described this as a heavyweight operation, but I hope we can make
> it convenient enough not to be a barrier to use.  You've also said that you
> don't think it can be used for fine-grained authority, but I don't see why
> not.

Well if the Contexts were the *only* way to divvy up authority, that
would be heavyweight. If it were possible to give authority to a root
module of a Context, and have all modules imported by that Context be
transitively immutable, then I think that achieves the desired effect.

Ihab

--
Ihab A.B. Awad, Palo Alto, CA