The proposals, including from Tom and Mark, don't steer away from const f() {} and other new syntax (destructuring).

Harmony has new syntax, this is not an open issue. As we've discussed over the years, the language's users deserve new syntax, particularly for early error reporting. Implementors also benefit.

One answer for the installed base problem is for the server to detect downrev browsers and send them content translated automatically to target ES3, even ES3 with workarounds (e.g. for IE's named function expression binding pollution bug).

The other extreme is to hold off on using the new syntax for five years, give or take. This can be a problem, but it's easy to exaggerate it, and to use past monopoly behavior to predict outcomes in a non-monopoly future.

An example: IE4 had regexps close enough to match Netscape 4.x, but IE4 lacked not try/catch/finally, so regexps were usable sooner cross- browser, but try/catch/finally was not usable till more recently.

This example in full, regexps and try/catch/finally, shows how the situation depends on how fast browser vendors (a) implement new features; (b) upgrade their installed bases -- (b) is critical not only for developers, but primarily to protect users by fixing old security bugs.

Content authors will have to decide among the several solutions. The JS community should and no doubt will make translation tools available (even in-browser translators, where feasible).

But we will not freeze syntax.

/be