On May 16, 2010, at 9:32 AM, Dmitry A. Soshnikov wrote:

On 15.05.2010 19:22, Brendan Eich wrote:
On May 15, 2010, at 7:53 AM, David Herman wrote:

I wonder if you considered having an export list, rather than tagging the individual exports? I think that makes it easier to see/document the public API of a module. You could at the same time allow renaming on export.

Yes, this is a good point. We chose inline-export for convenience, but I don't see any reason not to allow both.

+1 on an export form that takes a list of already-declared names.

Besides, the variation with

export all; // or export "all";

can be considered. It can be useful for debug.

Debugging is good.

This is a minor point, but rather than all, we'd use * instead, to mirror import M.* or M.{*} or import * from M; whatever it ends up being.

Or, simply -- to omit export statement. Thus, if there will be no local export statement for some function, it means that all functions/properties are exported. Although, it breaks the first design where by default methods are private for a module.

Sorry, the idea of implicit everything-exported is a footgun. Just say no.

Excluding:

export all except [intrinsic, builder]; // if we don't want to write 20 of 22 methods to be exported

This is overdesign. By far the most common case is explicit export of a select list of API functions and consts.