On May 28, 2010, at 3:12 PM, Dan Ingalls wrote:

[+DanHHIngalls]

Help! You caught me walking out the door to Germany. Will try to answer in a day or two ;-)

Hi Dan, thanks for replying -- be gentle, I probably sounded like some fresh kid talking nonsense about the greats from before his time (and I'm not young! Thanks to Mark for reciting history back to Smalltalk-72 and making me feel young, anyway ;-)). My copy of HOPL-II was at work, so I did not check the date of Alan's quote, and probably utterly wrongly assumed Smalltalk-80 blocks were the FEXPR successors.

You guys are my heroes for Smalltalk (all vintages, but I only know 80, used briefly on Sun workstations when I was in grad school; sadly, my BYTE magazine with the balloons on the cover succumbed to mildew years ago). Peace,