This issue was explicitly discussed and decided within TC39 while drafting and
reviewing the ES5 specification.  The final decisions is reflected in the final
normative paragraph of 15.12.2 (Jason.parse):

"It is not permitted for a conforming implementation of JSON.parse to extend
the JSON grammars. If an implementation wishes to support a modified or
extended JSON interchange format it must do so by defining a different parse
function."

Given the general tolerance of implementation specific extensions within the
ECMAScript specification, this was not just a casual decision.  The decision
was made with the knowledge that many existing JSON parsers supported an
extended grammar.  To the extent that the spec. differ from any implementation
that predate it, that is intentional and the expectation is that those
implementation would need to change to be in conformance.

Nothing in the spec.  says that an conforming JSON implemented is not allowed
to parse a string that includes (unescaped) tab characters.  It just says that
the function that does so may not be named JSON.parse.  If you want to provide
in your conforming implementation  support for parsing an extended form of the
JSON grammar, feel free.  Just call it JSON. parsePostel or anything else other
than JSON.parse.

Allen