On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 8:17 PM, Dean Landolt <d...@deanlandolt.com> wrote:

> I know many of us in the ES community tend to prefer a Postel's Law
> approach -- and as long as tabs are always properly stringified it's not a
> huge interop problem. Still, an argument could be made that with browsers
> accepting known-bad input (per the JSON spec) it
> could encourage fragmentation (albeit it minor) of the one format that's
> really delivered on the promise of true interoperability.

Yes. On the web, as the sorry history of browsers shows too clearly, Eich's
law may be the more relevant one:

>From Dave Herman's blog at <
http://calculist.blogspot.com/2010/02/eichs-law.html>:

Found this gem in a C++ comment while digging in the SpiderMonkey
codebase<http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/js/src/jsscan.cpp#1464>
:

After much testing, it's clear that Postel's advice to protocol designers
("be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send") invites
a natural-law repercussion for JS as "protocol":

"If you are liberal in what you accept, others will utterly fail to be
conservative in what they send."

The comment is unsigned, but it sounds like Brendan.

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM