On 12.11.2010 0:47, Oliver Hunt wrote:
So, do I understand correctly that you are against this feature and don't like
it? (Just another question -- are you aware that it used in Python, Ruby, Perl,
Coffee, other langs?)
The fact that other languages have a feature is not relevant, the problem is the drastic
change to semantics of property access.  In a way that is incompatible with existing
behaviour.  It is not syntactic sugar.  Syntactic sugar takes something that would fail
to run in the past, and makes it do something "helpful" instead.  You want to
take a syntax that does one thing, and change its behaviour entirely.

I understand what I want and what I propose.

OK, so, do I understand that you also (as Allen) against this feature and don't like it?

Another question -- still, can you remind at least one more-less serious use-case when `-n` were heavily used with arrays? I repeat, we tried -- and couldn't. Maybe you will, it will be useful -- to analyze whether we need such a sugar or not and what will it break, but not just abstract talks about "it will dramatically crash everything old".

Thanks.

Dmitry.

--Oliver