As stated before, I think that this approach is more error prone; that it
would be better to explicitly call the other function. Here would be the
difference between the two alternatives for the API: A and B, under the two
common scenarios:

*Scenario 1 "I don't care"*

A.
x = myLocaleInfo.region;

B.
x = myLocaleInfo.inferRegion();

*Scenario 2. "I only want explicit region"*

A.
x = myLocaleInfo.hasInferredRegion ? undefined : myLocaleInfo.region;

B.
x = myLocaleInfo.region();

I find the B approach simpler and clearer, and we don't have to have an
extra input parameter.

Mark

*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*