I was looking forward to a Javascript with block scope at last,
but on looking through the proposals, I have some questions:

1. hoisting vs recursive function definitions

Hoisting isn't nice in general, and from the "no use before declaration" in [1], it seems that let bindings won't be hoisted,
   not even to their enclosing block.

   But hoisting is also the basis for making mutually recursive
function definitions work without pain. Will we have to declare all function names of recursive function groups ahead of defining them (with a top-down parser, there'd be many more than just two function names to list)? { let odd, even; // needed?
   odd = function (n) { .. even(n-1) ..}
   even = function (n) { .. odd(n-1) ..}
   }

   or, with #functions [2]

{ const odd, even; // needed?
   const #odd (n) { .. even(n-1) ..}
   const #even (n) { .. odd(n-1) ..}
   }

   Once function definitions are constant, there doesn't seem
   to be much harm in a limited form of hoisting: for a sequence
of constant function definitions, not interrupted by other statements, implicitly introduce all function names defined in the sequence at the start of the sequence (to simplify recursive definitions).

The alternatives would be manual duplication of function name lists, or introducing a dedicated letrec syntax for recursive definitions (the latter might actually be preferable).

   Am I missing something here, or hasn't this been discussed?
2. ease of transition

   The general idea seems to be to introduce separate syntax,
   to force programmers to "buy in" to the new semantics. This
   should lead to a clean transition, but not an easy one.

The downside is that no-one can test the waters as long as old implementations (do not understand 'let') retain substantial marketshare. This is sad because implementations could
   start helping programmers right now (read: from the next
   release), to prepare for the eventual transition.

   One idea would be to start separating "strong" and "weak"
   blocks, where weak blocks '{ }' are the standard, non-scoped
   ones and strong blocks '{{ }}' (to steal no syntax) would be
   block-scoped (for instance, map to "(function() { }())" ).

   [we can't map '{{ }}' by translating 'var' to 'let': unless all
    blocks involved are strong blocks, 'let' is more local]

   Another idea would be to add a pragma: "no hoisting";
   (or extend "use strict" to encompass this). Upon which
   the implementation should warn or error on any code
   that captures variable occurences by hoisting. For instance:

   function F() {
       "no hoisting";
       .. x ..
       if ( .. ) { var x; .. }
       .. x ..
   }

   should produce warnings (at least at the hoisted declaration,
probably also at the captured uses).
Claus

[1] http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:let
[2] http://brendaneich.com/2011/01/harmony-of-my-dreams/