From: Nebojša Ćirić [mailto:c...@google.com]
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2011 1:36 PM
To: Mark Davis ☕
Cc: es-discuss@mozilla.org; Shawn Steele; Phillips, Addison
Subject: Re: Collation API not complete for search

Shawn, would you be ok with adding this new API to the list for 0.5 so we can
support collation search?

I'll edit the strawman in case nobody objects to this addition.
25. март 2011. 16.34, Nebojša Ćirić <c...@google.com<mailto:c...@google.com>>
је написао/ла:
In that case I wouldn't put this new functionality in the Collator object. A
new StringSearch or StringIterator object would make more sense:

options = {
  collator[optional - default, collatorType=search],
  source[required],
  pattern[required]
}
LocaleInfo.StringIterator = function(options) {}
LocaleInfo.StringIterator.prototype.first = function() { find first occurrence}
LocaleInfo.StringIterator.prototype.next = function() { get me next occurrence
of pattern in source}
LocaleInfo.StringIterator.prototype.matchLength = function() { length of the
match }
... (reset, setPosition...)
25. март 2011. 15.14, Mark Davis ☕
<m...@macchiato.com<mailto:m...@macchiato.com>> је написао/ла:

I think an iterator is a cleaner interface; we were just trying to minimize new
API.

In general, collation is context sensitive, so searching on substrings isn't a
good idea. You want to search from a location, but have the rest of the text
available to you.

For the iterator, you would need to be able to reset to a location, but the
context beforehand could affect what happens.

Mark

— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 14:22, Mike Samuel
<mikesam...@gmail.com<mailto:mikesam...@gmail.com>> wrote:
2011/3/25 Mike Samuel <mikesam...@gmail.com<mailto:mikesam...@gmail.com>>:
> 2011/3/25 Nebojša Ćirić <c...@google.com<mailto:c...@google.com>>:
>> find method wouldn't return boolean but an array of two values:
>
> Sorry if I wasn't clear.  The !! at the beginning of the call to find
> is important.
> The undefined value you mentioned below as possible no match result is
> falsey because !!undefined === false.
>
>> myCollator.find('gaard', 'ard', 2) -> [2, 5]  // 4 or 5 as a bound
>> myCollator.find('ard', 'ard', 0) -> [0, 3]  // 2 or 3 as a bound
>> I guess [2, 5] !== [0, 3]
>
> True, but also [2, 5] !== [2, 5].
>
>> We could return [-1, undefined] for not found state, or just undefined.
>
>> I agree that returning a boolean makes for easier tests in loops.
>

>> 25. март 2011. 14.00, Mike Samuel
>> <mikesam...@gmail.com<mailto:mikesam...@gmail.com>> је написао/ла:

>>> Assuming find returns a falsey value when nothing is found, is it the
>>> case that for all (string, index) pairs,
>>>
>>> !!myCollator.find(string, substring, index) ===
>>> !!myCollator.find(string.substring(index), substring, 0)
Maybe a better way to phrase this relation is

will any collator ever look at a code-unit to the left of index when
trying to determine whether there is a match at or after index?

E.g. if the code-unit at index might be a strict suffix of a substring
that could be represented as a one codepoint ligature.

>>> This would be false if the substring 'ard' should be found in 'gard',
>>> but not 'gaard' because then
>>>
>>>     !!myCollator.find('gaard', 'ard', 2) !== !!myCollator.find('ard',
>>> 'ard', 0)
>>>

>>> If that relation does not hold, then exposing find as an iterator
>>> might help prevent a profusion of subtly wrong loops.

>> --
>> Nebojša Ćirić

Nebojša Ćirić

--