On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 09:57, Jorge <jo...@jorgechamorro.com> wrote:
>> Most web apps will burn in hell if they are missing semicolons when you
>> minify them.
>
> Indeed, for some minifiers it's a must.

Which minifiers?

Closure, yuicompressor, jsmin, packer, and uglify all handle ASI
without so much as a complaint.  In fact, with YUICompressor and
JSMin, at least, when you omit semicolons, you end up with more easily
debuggable minified code, since the line numbers in stack traces are
actually helpful.  (No "line 1, char 82,343" to deal with.)

> These minifiers avoid (understandably) the hassle/expensiveness of building a
> parse tree and rely on (clever!) tricks that in turn require the programmer
> to put every semicolon in the source text, as if post-ASI, explicitly.

I don't believe that "those minifiers" actually get much use.  They're
hideously broken, and there is a huge selection of competent minifiers
that do actually minify JavaScript properly.

--i