On Jul 18, 2011, at 4:59 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:

> Word on the street, from folks ranging the skill gamut, is that <|, <& and so
> on are Perl-ish line noise. We should consider alternatives, even if it means
> restricted productions.

As I've said in the past, I'm generally more in the COBOL/readability camp than
I am in the APL/terseness  camp (in reality, I more of a PL/I guy.  (and what's
this new fangled Perl thing that everybody keeps talking about??))

That said, in writing sample code I've come to find <| to be rather pleasant to
both write and read.

Beyond that, we need to really decide what we want to surface syntax of JS to
be like as it evolve.  Do we want a keyword rich language or a concise language
that uses lots of special characters.  How to we find the balance between the
extreme.  For now I don't think we really have anything to guide us so we keep
oscillate  from on to the other based upon the latest feedback on a proposal
that goes one way or the other.

Allen