On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 6:16 AM, David Bruant <david.bru...@labri.fr> wrote:

> Why aren't there that many good JavaScript IDEs? Because JavaScript is
> ridiculously hard to analyse. It is weakly typed, and highly dynamic.

As we have discussed here before, good IDEs  have be created for weakly
typed dynamic languages.

If we have some venue to discuss JavaScript analysis I would be interested
in challenging your assertion that it is hard to analyze.

In my opinion, the lack of IDEs derives from the scope of the engineering
investment needed to support IDE development versus the return on
investment.  Only browsers have intrinsic interest in JS dev tools and
ironically the browser teams rarely have JS dev expertise. Outside of
browsers, business types push IDEs to diversify across languages, so we get
second rate JS support in IDEs with first rate Java or C++ support.  Open
source efforts suffer from natural underinvestment coupled with browsers
active efforts to prevent standard tools APIs that would encourage
contributors to IDEs.

jjb