Brendan Eich wrote:
On Oct 26, 2011, at 12:08 PM, Michael Dyck wrote:

According to
   http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=harmony:harmony
goal #2 of Harmony is:
   Switch to a testable specification, ideally
   a definitional interpreter hosted mostly in ES5.

Is there much activity toward this goal? The current ES6 drafts are
using mostly the same formalism as ES1 (although there was a marked
de-spaghettification between ES3 and ES5).

My opinion is that the best we'll do on this goal, better than past
ECMA-262 specs, is the http://test262.ecmascript.org/ project.
I.e., we have a testsuite and it will be maintained and extended.

Certainly a laudable effort.

(I ask because, in my spare time, I'm developing a process that massages
the ES spec into an executable/testable form. So I wonder if I'm
duplicating existing work.)

Interesting -- you are writing an interpreter?

Yes, but not an interpreter for ES, rather an interpreter (more or less)
for ES-spec-ese, the ad hoc notation that the ES spec's algorithms are
written in. So then if you feed the ES spec to *that* interpreter, you
do get an interpreter for ES. That's the idea, anyhow. It works, but so
far only for really simple programs.

-Michael